Tuesday, June 7, 2011

School Work

I just have to brag a little bit today, but I passed my last course (adolescent and childhood development) with a 99.3%! I am currently maintaining a 4.0 GPA for my Master's (granted, I am only five classes in, but I hope to keep this up as long as possible)!

Now, some people might say that this is really no big deal as I am just going to school online, but I personally cannot fault learning and bettering education no matter the venue. To anyone who is going to school, anywhere, GOOD FOR YOU! Keep up the good work and don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong!

For me, online school was the only option I had. The Wegner's itself and my treatments for it mean that I get exhausted very easily. Because the whole point of the treatments are to suppress my immune system, it also means that I get sick very easy. Like, really easy. Say, someone walks in the same room with me and has a cold, I now have the cold too. That's how easy it is. You might then ask me, "Why are you teaching pre-school then?" and my response would be, "Because I enjoy my work. It makes me happy and I feel like I am making a difference." and life would be pretty terrible if I did not have something to make me happy. Of course, I'm on antibiotics more often than I am not, and  I can't make it through the day without a nap.

This is why online school was the best option for me. Before I was diagnosed, I knew I wanted to go back to school, but I hadn't really decided on where yet. A few months after I was diagnosed, I was forced into school because I just could not afford the student loan payments and my medical bills. It seemed like a smart move at the time, I thought anyway. I wanted to go back, I couldn't afford to make my loan payments, and school can be done online. It seemed perfect.

Of course, I have to budget my time very carefully so I don't over exert myself. I might not be traveling to school, but I still have a lot of work to do.

Anyway, don't let anything stand in the way of what you want to do. You can't let a disease define your life. For a while, my disease put my life on pause, but now I am back! Find a way to make things work for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment