Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tis the Season

For creepies, crawlies and all manner of beasties that fly through the air!

Yes, here in the little state of Utah, Spring has finally sprung... now that we're halfway through June, but better late than never.

This change in season has brought me a new discovery, one which I am bound to find out if it holds true or not. I was out late tonight, standing in my yard (going out at night helps with the sunburns that I am, I didn't know it was possible, MORE likely to get on meds). The mosquitoes were everywhere, swarming and buzzing and biting all the exposed flesh they could find. Except mine.

Bear in mind that I am neither a scientist of mosquitoes, nor am I a medical professional. Everything here is speculation based from my own experiences. They might be different than yours, Weggies!

I am not sure why, I am normally a bug magnet, but so far this year I have got nothing. Not that I am complaining mind you, but I wonder if it has something to do with the meds I am on. I know that mosquitoes are thought to be attracted to certain smells from pheromones and various vitamins, and  I also know that my meds make me lack in a various bunch of those vitamins. I am also a lot colder now than I was before (another thing I didn't think was possible) and most biting insects are attracted to high body temperatures.

Mostly I wonder if it is the potassium. Last blood check I had my potassium levels were low from my meds and I have heard from more than one place that those bloodsuckers love the banana vitamin.  

I am sure that I will find out sooner rather than later if my non-bitingness withstands the summer, but so far so good. I also can't seem to find any information about this online, I am not sure if any of you other Weggies experience this same phenomenon but I'd be excited to know! Is it possible that I have just brought up a silver lining?

No comments:

Post a Comment