Sunday, March 8, 2015

In Sickness and in Health

In Sickness and in Health

The above link goes to an article that talks about how men are more likely to divorce or dump their spouse who gets sick than a woman partner. Really, there's only a six percent difference between men and women who leave their sick spouses so it's not that much of a difference, but it is still enough to make me sad.

I know that not everyone out there has the strength to handle having an ill spouse; hell, not everyone out there has the strength to handle getting sick themselves, but you'd hope that the person you chose to spend your life with would stick with you no matter what.

It's very disheartening to learn things like this even though I don't have a significant other. It kind of reinforces some of the thoughts that I already think to myself when it comes to dating or relationships. I don't want to burden someone with the heavy medical baggage that I carry and it doesn't matter how often I tell myself in my head that the right person won't care, it's still enough to get me to push people away before I get into a position to be hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment