Monday, June 29, 2015

I Don't Want to be a Mummy

Yes, you read that right.
No, I'm not just saying Mommy with an accent.

Today I had a check up for my sinus surgery so of course that means you get the scope. I don't actually mind the scope all that much, and maybe I'm weird but I like watching the camera move through my sinuses and throat.

Things did not go as planned, though. The sinus that was by far the most damaged is not healing correctly. The skin looks like the skin of my sinus was trying out for the part of Freddy Krueger; all red, inflamed, with sores, and pits and what have you. There was also a scar band started.

That scar band is why I titled this "I Don't Want to be a Mummy" as we saw it on the screen and the doctor suddenly hands me the end of the camera with a "I'm going to need both hands". He then proceeds to pull out of a drawer a giant metal hook with a blunt end.

Immediately, I knew where that hook was supposed to go and I also knew that it wasn't going to be a pleasant experience on my part as thoughts of 6th grade Egypt Studies flashed through my mind.

Anyway, the doctor proceeds to shove the end of the hook in my nose and press it against the little band of scar tissue. And he presses some more. And more. My head was actually being forced backwards as I held the camera in place, but still, that tiny little band must have been made of steel for all the good the hook thingy was doing.

Luckily for me, the doctor decided to stop and we are going to wait and see if A: the scar gets bigger and B: if Freddy Krueger continues to take over the inside of my sinus.

It would be nice if things went smoothly for once, but that's not really to be expected with vasculitis.

No comments:

Post a Comment