Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Things That Really Grind My Gears

I may have already shared this picture during awareness month, but it works for this post.

When I shared the above meme in some of the vasculitis groups some people commented that we need to give the doctors a break. They study so many other things that the less than a day on average devoted to rare diseases is really all they can fit in.

I understand that. Being a recent college graduate (Bachelor's level, not post graduate level) I get that there is a lot of stuff that goes into being a student and there is no possible way for a person to learn everything about every disease out there. So then why is it that doctors have to fake that they do?

I don't know how many times, how many patient stories I've heard that boil down to: My doctor had no idea about vasculitis but decided to fake it. Or the ever present: My doctor had no idea about vasculitis so they refused to answer any questions about it and instead left me to the less than capable hands of doctor google to try and figure out what to expect. These situations are not right, they should not be happening!

Don't even get me started on the doctors that decide to pretend to be experts just so they can dismiss your symptoms as things that are unconnected to your disease.


Everyone and their dog seems to know the amount of work that goes into being a doctor, everyone knows that doctors are also human (unless you're going to some futuristic robot doctor) and that there are going to be things they have no idea about. I think that knowing these things means that most people aren't going to have their brains melt down if a doctor says that they aren't sure about this specific disease so they will have to look some things up or will find an expert to send you to. Or maybe a lot of people will have a brain melt down if this happens because doctors aren't known for doing this.

Is it really that much to ask for doctors that are willing to be seen as not an expert in everything that comes to medicine?

I know there are doctors that don't do these things and they are to be treasured. My gp was like this. He only had a vague idea about vasculitis and that it was similar to lupus so you know what he did? He listened to me as to what symptoms I was experiencing and he was not afraid to talk to the other doctors I see that DO know about vasculitis. He would refer me to them if something was out of his scope, but he would do what he could to make sure I knew where about my health stood rather than sending me home to doctor google.


No comments:

Post a Comment